Illustrations by noted French artist, Gustave Doré (1832-1883), are found in many 19th-century volumes that are part of the University Libraries’ Rare & Special Books collection. Titles include Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven (1884), Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1876), and Milton's Paradise Lost (1885), among others.
The Gustave Doré digital collection currently features reproductions of wood engravings from:
- The Bible Gallery (London, Cassell, Petter, Galpin, 1880)
- Fairy Realm: A Collection of the Favorite Old Tales (London, Ward, Lock, and Tyler, 1865)
- The Legend of the Wandering Jew (London ; New York : Cassell, Petter and Galpin, 1860)
- Paradise Lost (London and New York. Cassell, Petter and Galpin, 1866)
- Purgatory and Paradise (New York, Cassell & Co., 1883)
- The Raven (Harper & Brothers, 1884)
- The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (New York, Harper & Brothers, 1884)
- Sword and Scimitar (N. Y., Pollard and Moss, 1886)
- Thomas Hood (London: E. Moxon, Son, and Co., 1870)
Additional reproductions of Doré’s wood and steel engravings will be added to this digital collection in the near future.