Although it was initially unclear as to whether football would be played, Art Powell’s team overcame wartime conditions (see “U.B. Will Have Football Team” Buffalo Courier, 23 September 1917) and finished the season with a respectable .500 record with 4 won and 4 lost.
The highlights of the season included the overwhelming defeat of the University of Rochester in that city by the score of 28-0 and a 27-7 whipping of Thiel College at the Buffalo Baseball Park. A Thanksgiving Day roasting of an over-matched Hobart squad (45-0) ended the season.
Not since the varsity football revival in 1915 had the blue and white exhibited such a varied attack. The small Buffalo football team was headed in the right direction and the future of athletics at the University of Buffalo seemed bright despite world events. For more information on football at the University at Buffalo, visit the UB Sports History Collection website.
1917 Buffalo Football Season
|Date||Home Team||Score||Visiting Team||W-L-T||Location|
|Sat, 10/13/19171||Buffalo||12 – 6||Penn State Normal (Mansfield, PA)||W||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 10/20/19172||Rochester University||0 – 28||Buffalo||W||Rochester, NY|
|Sat, 10/27/19173||Buffalo||6 – 13||St. Bonaventure (Olean, NY)||L||Buffalo, NY|
|Tues, 11/6/19174||Buffalo||0 – 7||Westminster College (Beaver Falls, PA)||L||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 11/10/19175||Buffalo||0 – 7||Hamilton College (Clinton, NY)||L||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 11/17/19176||Buffalo||27 – 7||Thiel College (Greenville, PA)||W||Buffalo, NY|
|Sat, 11/24/19177||Detroit University||20 – 7||Buffalo||L||Detroit, MI|
|Thurs, 11/29/19178||Buffalo||45 - 0||Hobart College (Geneva, NY)||W||Buffalo, NY|
FINAL RECORD: 4-4-0
Home: Buffalo International Park, East Ferry St and Michigan Ave
Coach: Arthur Powell
- 1 – “Penn State Normal Loses to U.B., But After Game Fight” Buffalo Courier, Buffalo, NY, 14 October 1917.
- 2 – “Crippled Line Unable to Hold Buffalo Rushes” Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, Rochester, NY, 21 October 1917.
- 3 – “Intercepted Pass for 85-Yard Run Defeats U.B., 13-6” Buffalo Courier, Buffalo, NY, 28 October 1917.
- 4 – “U.B. Withstands Ferocious Drive, Then Line Wavers” Buffalo Courier, Buffalo, NY, 7 November 1917.
- 5 – “Hamilton Trounces U. of B.” Buffalo Courier, Buffalo, NY, 11 November 1917.
- 6 – “Cooper and Wolfe Lead U.B. Eleven to Win Over Thiel” Buffalo Courier, Buffalo, NY, 18 November 1917.
- 7 – “U.B. Unable to Halt Powerful Detroit Eleven” Buffalo Courier, Buffalo, NY, 25 November 1917.
- 8 – “Powerful Attack of U.B. Overwhelms Hobart, Score 45-0” Buffalo Courier, Buffalo, NY, 30 November 1917.
Tags: Buffalo Bulls Football History
U. B. WILL HAVE FOOTBALL TEAM
Not So Large a Squad as Heretofore, but Game Will Not Lag.
Prospects are bright for a successful football season at University of Buffalo despite war conditions.
According to Chester C. Cott, manager of the University Athletic association, athletic activities will be continued this year in the same manner as formerly.
“Of course our football squad will not be as large as usual,” said Manager Cott today, “but neither will the other colleges. We will at least have a well-trained team.”
Manager Cott is of the belief that the public will welcome college athletics as be fore and that war conditions will not affect the patronage of the games to any great extent.
“As far as I have noticed in Buffalo the war has had absolutely no effect on the drawing power of athletic activities,” he declared today. “Therefore we have hopes of a successful football season.”
— Buffalo Courier, September 23, 1917