Ambulatory and radiating chapels, Abbey church of Saint-Denis
Envisioning the completion of the abbey church with a transept, and presumably also a nave, Abbot Suger had the following inscription placed in the church to commemorate the 1144 dedication of the choir: Once the new rear part is joined to the part in front, the church shines with its middle part brightened. For bright is that which is brightly coupled with the bright, and bright is the noble edifice which is pervaded by the new light. (Panofsky, p. 51).
Use for educational purposes only. Single copies (print, photocopy, download) are permitted for personal study, research and teaching.
“Ambulatory and radiating chapels, Abbey church of Saint-Denis,” Digital Collections - University at Buffalo Libraries, accessed May 14, 2021, https://digital.lib.buffalo.edu/items/show/30628.